American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3 by Larry StarrIn American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3, Second Edition, Larry Starr and Christopher Waterman examine popular music in the United States from its beginnings into the 21st century, offering a comprehensive look at the music, the cultural history of the times, and the connections between them. Using well-chosen examples, insightful commentaries, and an engaging writing style, this text traces the development of jazz, blues, country, rock, Motown, hip-hop, and other popular styles, highlighting the contributions of diverse groups to the creation of distinctly American styles. It combines an in-depth treatment of the music itself--including discussions of stylistic elements and analyses of musical examples--with solid coverage of the musics attendant historical, social, and cultural circumstances. The authors incorporate strong pedagogy including numerous boxed inserts on significant individuals, recordings, and intriguing topics; coverage of early American popular music; and a rich illustration program. Detailed listening charts explain the most important elements of recordings discussed at length in the text. The charts are complemented by two in-text audio CDs and--new to this edition--an iMix published at iTunes, which makes most of the songs immediately available to students and instructors.
Features of the Second Edition
* Integrates full color throughout
* Provides more coverage of women artists, with new material on women in rock n roll in Chapter 8 and a box on Queen Latifah in Chapter 14
* Reorganizes the discussion of post-1970s music: disco is now included with mainstream 70s pop, while hip-hop is treated in two chapters (12 and 14) in order to emphasize its significance and diversity
* Adds new material on the recent alternative country music explosion
* Includes new developments in music technology in the thoroughly revised concluding chapter
* Offers revised and more vivid visual elements, including more than 100 new photos (most in full color) and an illustrated timeline
* Provides redesigned listening guides, enhanced by an iMix published at iTunes (accessible at www.oup.com/us/popmusic)
* Supplemented by a Companion Website at www.oup.com/us/popmusic (containing both student and instructor resources) and an Instructors Manual and a Computerized Test Bank on CD
* FREE with the purchase of this book: a 6-month subscription to Grove Music Online (www.grovemusic.com)--a $180 value
Remarkably accessible, American Popular Music, Second Edition, is ideal for courses in American Popular Music, the History of Popular Music, Popular Music in American Culture, and the History of Rock n Roll. Its welcoming style and warm tone will captivate readers, encouraging them to become more critically aware listeners of popular music.
BEST English Music Cover 2018 Hit Popular Acoustic Songs Country Songs Top 40 Songs This Week
American Popular Music From Minstrelsy To Mp3
In stock online. Not available in stores. The following ISBNs are associated with this title:. ISBN - Look for similar items by category:. Prices and offers may vary in store. Exploring the rich terrain of American popular music, this text combines cultural and social history coverage with the analytical study of musical styles using well-chosen examples and insightful commentary.
Hello, Login. Visit Our Stores. I happened to meet a professional audiobook reader who asked me a question that stuck with me In the fourth edition of their best-selling text, American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3 , Larry Starr and Christopher Waterman provide a unique combination of cultural and social history with the analytical study of musical styles. This new edition traces the development of jazz, blues, country, rock, hip-hop, and other popular genres from their multicultural roots to the digital world of the twenty-first century. What's new to the fourth edition? Purchase an access code to receive sixty featured musical selections from American Popular Music in MP3 format.
Please choose whether or not you want other users to be able to see on your profile that this library is a favorite of yours.
sky captain and the world of tomorrow
Ask a Librarian. Starr, Larry,Waterman, Christopher Alan. American popular music :from minstrelsy to MP3. These citations may not conform precisely to your selected citation style. Please use this display as a guideline and modify as needed. Contacting Local Catalog. Login Ask a Librarian.